Sunday, March 13, 2011

Mary Pope Osborne's The Magic Tree House to be Adapted into Anime; Childhoods of Many Hang in Balance


When I was a kid, I used to read The Magic Treehouse. I'm sure a few of you readers out there (hello?) did as well. Perhaps it was fate that I grew up to be an otaku, because The Magic Treehouse is huge is Japan. Of the 92 million copies sold worldwide, a whopping 3.3 million are sold in Japan alone! In fact, it's so popular they're making an anime version! See what I mean? Fate.

Anyway, I'm getting mixed feelings about this. On one hand, the inner child in me is screaming "HECK YEAH!" though maybe not screaming, because back then "heck" was a bad word. On the other hand, the choices for the behind the scenes crew are downright bizarre. The directorial choice, Hiroshi Nishikiori worked on the anime of Azumanga Daioh, which-despite the fact that Azumanga is no kid's show-could mean there could be a touch of Kiyohiko Azuma's Yotsuba&! innocence to the production, which would certainly not be a bad thing, but I also noticed he directed A Certain Magical Index, a gooey harem show. The choice for screenwriter even more off putting, as Ichiro Okouchi, while also having worked on Azumanga, worked on the dumb harem/dumb fighting anime Negima! as well as Brave Story, based on the children's book by Miyuki Miyabe, which according to ANN Australia, is flawed in the script. Uh oh!


And yet, I'm not ready to condemn this announcement just yet. The fact is, I want this to be good, and maybe in the end it will be. So for now, ignore that last paragraph and let the inner child do the talking.

No comments:

Post a Comment